Friday, May 1, 2015

Incest Taboo and 21st Century Advertisements

After section yesterday I couldn't stop thinking about the incest taboo and its effects on the current relations between men and women. I found some advertisements that seem to reinforce this commodification of women for consumption that I have learned through our reading, isn't a new construction at all. What disturbs me most is that these types of ads are so common place that most people won't find them surprising at all. This objectification of women is so deeply ingrained in our culture. In each of these advertisements the woman is compared to or paralleled with the object that is to be sold. As you can see in the first ad, the male is purchasing the woman/object,which is very reminiscent of the "gift giving" of women in medieval times. This objectification of women also reminded me of the objectification of animals, as we touched on with the Sexual Politics of Meat. I'd like to know what other people think.




No comments:

Post a Comment