Tuesday, May 26, 2015

A Bit Too Friendly, Maybe?

When I was in class today (specifically in Classroom Unit 2, which I'm sure we all have the common understanding of its enormity), I noticed that a little bird had walked in doors and was prancing about the carpeted stairs. I want to say that a normal bird would avoid such close a proximity to humans, but I feel as if I haven't witnessed a "normal" bird in a very long time. Specifically the little birds, I believe them to be called sparrows.

I remember when I was younger, I always wanted to keep a sparrow as a pet because they were so cute and friendly. It makes me wonder, have they always been this way? Or have they evolved in a way that is strictly adapted to be around humans. Is it a matter of "survival of the fittest," where they realize that if they're around humans, their cute exterior will surely allow them to be fed?

Speaking of animals that are used to being around humans, what do you think about the animals of UCSC? The deer, raccoons, squirrels, etc? They're all so used to our presence within their forest home, rarely do they blink an eye when one of us approaches them, or offers them food. I remember last year, a family of raccoons used to sneak into my friend's room in Kresge, where he used to leave is sliding glass door open.

Is such domestic behavior an evolutionary benefit for these wild animals? Am I right when I refer to them as wild? If they were actually in the wild, I feel like their experienced counterparts would outlive them within a matter of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment